Want to know something kind of ridiculous … We haven’t eaten at home since August 2nd. Yes … like TWO WEEKS! First, we went camping, then we were super busy, then it got too late in the evening to shop, then it was the next weekend … Yesterday, we finally went to the store. Surprisingly, we only spent $68.00!!
On a related note, we’ve been having an issue lately with throwing away too much food. It’s a problem. WAY TOO MUCH! Plus, Jimmy totally gags when he’s emptying out the fridge. Keep in mind, he’s wearing a bandana over his nose, and the Tupperware isn’t even open yet. Makes me laugh every time … this all leads me to what we’re hoping is a solution: our new dry-erase board. Here, we’re writing what’s in the fridge (the drawers aren’t clear, so we forget about the food), and in the veggie basket. I am sure some of these ‘veggies’ are actually ‘fruits’ … don’t correct me! :)
I used some of these yummy ingredients this morning when I made a little stock of freezer burritos.
It was easy-breezy … plus I got to use our cast-iron skillet for the first time.
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/4 large red onion
- 1 medium zucchini
- 6 eggs (I should have used 8)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, or a spoon of the prepped
- 1 cup (or less) shredded cheese
- 6 burrito size tortillas
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- salt & pepper
- your favorite hot sauce
- a handful bunch of cilantro
- your favorite salsa
- Cook your potatoes & zucchini in pan. Once softening, add the bell pepper & onion. Cook until ingredients are soft and starting to develop some color. Add the garlic, cook for a few minutes.
- Add the hot sauce (as much as you’d like) to the veggies, then season with a little salt & pepper.
- Remove the veggies from the pan, then cook the eggs (scrambled style). It’s best if you cook the eggs until they’re JUST cooked … when they’re still really moist. It’ll make your burritos extra tasty!
- Assemble your burritos by layering the eggs, veggies, hot sauce, cilantro, salsa, and cheese. Wrap the tortillas, then wrap with foil.
- I ate one right after, but you can put the others into the freezer to eat later.
- To reheat, remove from the foil, then put in the microwave for 2 1/2 – 3 minutes, then let cool.
Original recipe seen here.