If you’ve been around here for awhile, you already know I prefer savory over sweet. So, when choosing my ideal breakfast, I’ll often skip the pancakes & muffins and head towards something more like this: scottish oat cakes, eggs & roasted tomatoes.
The oat cakes a slightly dry, so serving them with perfectly cooked fried eggs & juicy tomatoes rounds out the meal perfectly.
- 3/4 cup dry oats
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. granulated sugar
- s&p to taste
- 2 tbs. melted butter
- 4 tbs. boiling water
- 2 tbsp shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- about 20 cherry tomatoes
- 4 eggs
For the oat cakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, then bring your water to boil on the stove top.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, add the water & melted butter and stir together until the mixture is combined.
- Scoop the mixture onto a cookie sheet and spread until it’s about 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and drizzle with honey
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, sprinkle with s&p, cook until tomatoes are bursting.
- After removing the tomatoes from the pan, cook your eggs for about 5 minutes or until whites are cooked through & yolk is still runny.
- Serve with oat cakes … Even better when mixed all together!
Adapted from This Paper Ship