Even though I’ve been a vegetarian for several years, I still have a way of remembering exactly what some of my favorite ‘meaty’ foods tasted like … a McDonalds cheeseburger, my mom’s fried chicken, and the number one comfort food in my book: chicken noodle soup. Who cares that it was from a can? It was so freaking good.
Thankfully, since becoming a vegetarian, I’ve only been sick a few times (maybe just two times), so it’s not like I had to suffer through yearly flus/colds without a bowl of chicken noodle soup. Though, I have to admit, there are rainy days when it just seems like the perfect meal.
Well, now, I’ve found a replacement. A really good replacement. Chickpea Noodle Soup may be one of my favorite ‘I-need-comfort-food’ meals ever.
- 7 cups water
- 3/4 box of elbow macaroni (about 3/4 of a pound)
- 1 can of chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
- 1 tbsp. canolla oil
- 1 tbsp. butter (use a tbsp of olive oil here to make this vegan)
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- a pinch of pepper for seasoning
- Bring water to a boil in a large sauce pan
- Add pasta, chickpeas, salt, garlic salt, oil & butter to the pan. Cook until the pasta is tender.
- Serve. Be sure to add a little pinch of pepper in the bowl. Yes, seriously, it’s that easy. The water becomes the broth … a seriously tasty broth that gives the canned stuff a run for it’s money.
Adapted from Fresh 365