I think I’m going to start a new series on the blog … Food You Shouldn’t Eat on a First Date! It’s messy … and it sure isn’t pretty when you’re eating it. J and I are on a mission to create a tasty homemade pizza dough from scratch. So … while we’re experimenting with pizza crust, we are naturally a little experimental with the toppings as well. This is the perfect summer pizza!
- Whole wheat pizza dough. I use this recipe.
- 2 big handfuls of mixed greens (we love arugula & baby spinach)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (torn into small pieces)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- Dash of lemon pepper seasoning
How to make:
- Follow the instructions for making your pizza dough. Most recipes require a few hours to let the dough rise.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Shape your pizza dough into a ball, then use your hands to pick up the ball. Stretch into an even circle (to your desired thickness).
- Brush with a bit of olive oil.
- Put in oven for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes, remove the dough (it will not be completely cooked). Flip the dough, brush with olive oil then sprinkle with salt.
- Continue baking until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven to cool for 2 minutes.
- While crust is baking, mix greens, tomatoes, basil, vinegar, cheese and a drizzle of olive oil in a bowl.
- After pizza comes out of the oven, and cooled for two minutes, cut into squares. Then top pizza with salad mixture & serve immediately.