I realized after I titled this post (and recipe) that I probably could have come up with a better name. It should probably be called, ‘Quick Quinoa w/ Peppers & Onions’ … Something like that. I don’t want people thinking that this is what I consider Mexican food. Oh well … moving on!
When I’m working at home, I have to remind myself most days to eat lunch. The last thing I want to do is give in to the fast food devil on my shoulder. The only way to can accomplish this is by having a few, simple go-to recipes. You can prepare this whole meal in less than 15 minutes (and only use 2 pans). It’s light, fresh, full of whole ingredients, and could easily be vegan (just take out the cheese).
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Shredded cheese (optional)
- 1 avocado
- 10 cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- Hot sauce to taste
How to Make:
- Cook quinoa according to directions on package (typically a 1:2 quinoa/water ratio)
- In pan, saute peppers & onions until soft and slightly brown
- Add beans, cumin, salt & pepper. Stir, cook until beans are heated through.
- Put quinoa in bowl, top with bean mixture, top with cheese.
- Top with avocado, tomato and hot sauce.