Everyone stop what you’re doing … Grab a pencil, write this recipe down, then go to the store. This is probably the best thing I’ve ever made. Seriously … even better than the beef wellington I made before I went veg. We love Mexican food in this house … it’s so easy to modify recipes to make them vegetarian. It’s often very fresh, too. I first saw this recipe over on Hello Giggles. I modified it JUST a little bit to use a few ingredients we had at home.
- 1 can black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil (I just typed evoo, then refused to be ‘that girl’)
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp mayo (or veganaise)
- 2 tbsp plain, greek yogurt
- 1 chipotle pepper (in adobo)
- 1 tsp hot sauce (we love Tobasco)
- 2 limes
- 1 cup prepared rice
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- salt & pepper
How to make (makes 2 servings):
- Preheat oven to 350 (or, in my case, warm a saute pan. Our oven wasn’t working for some odd reason, so I had to cook them in a pan)
- Cook rice according to directions on package.
- Put black beans in a bowl. Use a fork to mash beans … You don’t when them completely mashed, so maybe 3/4 mashed. Then, add breadcrumbs and 1/2 of the oil. Stir together, add more oil & bread crumbs if needed. Consistency should be thick enough to make patties.
- Split mixture in two. Make two even patties. Put in oven for 20 minutes (or saute in pan for 7 minutes on each side, medium heat).
- Once rice is done, stir in a little olive oil, juice from a lime, cilantro, and s&p. Stir together, remove from heat.
- In small bowl, mix together avocado, juice from 1/2 of lime, and s&p.
- In another small bow, mix together mayo, yogurt, juice from 1/2 a lime, chipotle pepper, and hot sauce (if you’re not into really spicy food, you should omit the hot sauce … you can always add more later if needed).
- Once everything is done, you’re ready to assemble: black bean patty on the bottom, then place sliced tomato, 1/2 of the avocado mixture and 1/2 of the salsa blanca on top. Serve with cilantro lime rice.